Saturday, January 14, 2012

This ones a keeper

Alright here is my full update. As soon as we got there, we went back to so I could get my first blood draw done. While she was taking blood the Dr overheard me telling her I was CD3, so popped his head in and told her to draw more blood to check FSH. When she was done taking blood I had to drink the nastiest orange sugar syrup drink, so they could check my glucose/insulin levels 2 hours later. We then sat down with the DR, I gave him Kyles bad semen analysis report, plus the report for my Lap and HSG. He looked those over and agreed IVF was the best way to go. We spent about an hour talking about exactly how the procedure was done, the cost and most importantly all the meds/blood work and tests I have had done recently. He didn't sugar coat anything, he said our chances were about 60% being a little lower due to the PCOS. He also talked to us about ICSI. Kyle requested to do another analysis and the dr totally agreed. The Dr took Kyle to another room, where apparently he checked out the "goods" to make sure everything looked normal. While Kyle was doing that, it was my turn.  He checked my thyroid and did a pelvic exam. He then did an ultrasound and said everything looked good. He said there were a few reason to wait until April, 1st he wanted me on Metformin for at least 3 months, well I have been on it for 3 years...Check, 2nd he wanted all IVF blood work done....check, 3rd he wanted me to be at a good place in my cycle....hows CD3 for ya.........Check, 4th he wanted me to loose 10lbs.....Im at 11lbs lost since Dec 15th....that was good enough for him....Check, he also wanted a normal ultrasound, normal breast exam, no STD's, FSH to be normal...check, check and check. He said that he saw no reason to have to wait until April like he originally thought. He said we could wait if we want to, but no further testing needed to be done so we had nothing to gain, but he stressed that he was fine with whatever we chose.They have a shared risk or insurance program and this is how it works. Say he takes 10 woman with PCOS(or other woman with the same conditions or circumstances as each other) and thinks 8 out of the 10 woman will get pregnant, so the other 2 woman will need the "free" cycle. He figures it will cost $7500 per cycle for the to each try again, so he divides the $15000 it would cost between all 10 woman, so for all 10 woman to have the "insurance" as he calls would $1500 per woman. So for us, if it doesn't work the first time, we can try again for only the cost of meds and the initial extra $1500. He said there is no pressure to buy the "insurance" now, we can wait until 2 days before retrieval to decide. As for meds, he said he usually uses Bravelle, but since I responded to Follistim in the past, yet had no response to repronex, that he wouldn't mess with something that worked, so we will use follistim. I started BCP today, and start Lupron on the 20th. Follistim should start on the 4th or so, with retrieval the 14th-17th of feb and transfer 5ish days later.  He called the meds into a pharmacy in town, and we got to pick them up before we left Portland. For all meds I mentioned, plus Pregnyl(sp?) it was $1600 because my insurance cover half.....YAY. Ok, Im sure I left something out.......LOL Oh, and Kyle got the results of the new semem analysis and his total count 124million Versus 6 million in Spokane, and his Motility was like 80%(I think) versus 4% in Spokane, and his morphology was 75% versus 1% in Spokane...WTF 
 
                               Here is a pic of all my meds, needles and sharps container.
  

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I'm scheduled for my first IVF retrieval the week of February 20th! We are very close together in timing. Best of luck to you, and I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and best of luck to you as well. You will have to keep me posted on things.

    ReplyDelete